INTERNATIONAL LABOR ORGANIZATION

Chair: Alana Yang

Vice-Chair: Caleb Richmond

The International Labor Organization (ILO) is a UN agency tasked with setting international standards for labor rights, social protection and equal opportunity for all.

Forced labor, according to the international definition, is work that is performed involuntarily and under the menace of any penalty. Although chattel slavery, also known as traditional slavery, has disappeared from the international stage and is not currently upheld by the legal system of any internationally recognized government, forced labor is a form of contemporary slavery that affects a total of 21 million people across the globe. Of these 21 million people, 90% are exploited in the private economy, while the remaining 10% are in state-imposed forms of forced labor. Because of its nature, which takes advantage of people in poor situations, forced labor often affects the most vulnerable and excluded groups, such as the commonly discriminated Dalits in India. In this committee, delegates need to work together to enforce or reinterprete the ILO’s Forced Labour Convention, adopted in 1930, which prohibits all forms of forced or compulsory labor.


 

Meet Your Chair

35242213_493924144370673_6914024927033032704_n.jpg

Alana Yang is a sophomore at Phillips Exeter Academy who currently resides in Taipei, Taiwan. She participated in Model UN for the first time on her middle school travel team during her 8th grade year, attending two THIMUN procedure conferences. Since coming to Exeter, Alana’s discovered a love for diplomatic debate, the research of global issues, and most of all, the people in the MUN club. When she doesn’t have track or softball practice, she enjoys sketching, playing UNO with Friends, and sleeping in the Amen Hall common room. Alana looks forward to a day full of fast-paced debate and solution-making with the members of the International Labor Organization!